· To rest the eyes, lift them occasionally from close work and look into the distance.
· Give rest to your tired eyes by applying two thin slices of cucumber as cool compress and relax as you do so.
· Splash cold water occasionally to eyes to relax them and bring back the sparkle to tired eyes.
· Prevent the glare of light which has a fatiguing effect on the eyes. Light fixtures in the bedroom should reflect light upwards as well as outwards and not direct on the eyes.
· Dip gauze. pads in light tea and keep on the tired eye for 15 minutes.
· To fade away -dark circles below the eyes, make paste of three almond kernels and milk. Apply this paste: and leave till it dries.
· When applying cream or make up around the eyes use the ring finger (as it exerts less pressure).
· Dark shadows and tiny lines under the eyes can be disguised by applying a light coloured foundation under them and smoothening them.
· To remove puffiness under the eyes, use raw potato paste sandwiched between two thin pieces, of (for each eye) and keep on the eyes for 20 minute.
· If your eyes are on the smaller side, open the using subtle grey, beige or brown shades of shadow, using a darker shade on the crease of the lid.
· Apply a pale shade of eye shadow on the lid and deeper shade below the brow for deepest eyes.
· When applying mascara, brush with an outward sweep to the underside of the top lashes and allow it to dry before giving a second coat. After this, use a small comb or a small brush to separate them.
· Remove mascara from the eyes by rubbing a little moisturizer on the lashes or by dipping a bit of cotton wool in hot water and wiping them. Or place a roll of cotton wool under the top lashes and wipe from above with another piece of damp cotton wool.
· If your brows are thick, pluck hair from inner corners with a pair of clean tweezers and pluck from the middle to make an upward arch and let the brow end in a thin line.
· Before you start plucking the hair from the brows, draw the sort of eyebrows you have in mind with an eyebrow pencil and pluck from beneath.
· When tweezing hair from the eyebrow, pull in the direction of the hair growth with a quick flick of the hand.
· Never pluck from above the brow or the re-growth will give a greenish appearance.
· For a long face, give the brows a shape by extending them past the outer corners of the eyes to give the illusion of width.
· For a square face, pluck above the inner eye-corners curving gently out.
· For a round face pluck hair giving a straightest arch.
· If the eyes are deepest, pluck the hair from under the brows to give the illusion of large eyes.
· Check eye wrinkle cream
Simple everyday eye exercises
· After every hour before a computer screen, close your eyes gently for 30 seconds to relax them.
· Yoga experts recommend you to rotate your eyes often to relax muscles. Move your eyeballs from extreme left corner to the right corner.
· Hold a pencil at arm's length and slowly bring it towards your nose, keeping eyes focused at all times. This helps prevent blurred vision.
When to see a doctor
· If you have persisting headaches see a doctor and well light your work area and correct your reading/writing posture. · If you have sties often, they may indicate refractive error.
· If you squint every time you read a book or watch television.
· If you have dryness of the eyes, check out if it's due to antihistamines, decongestants, diuretics, muscle relaxants, tranquilizers that you may have taken.
· If you plan to take oral contraceptives they may decrease tolerance of the eye.
· Even if you have no complaints it's important to see a doctor and have a routine eye check up.
Don'ts of eye care
· Don't wear contact lenses for extended periods of time or overnight as this leads to complication.
· Don't rub eyes frequently as this can cause an eye infection as few of us bother to wash our hands before touching our eyes.
· When you splash water do not do this furiously believing doing this will take away tiredness instead wash gently as splashing may hurtle the smallest dust particles or an allergen which may minutely damage the cornea.
· Use disposable tissues instead of handkerchiefs to wipe eyes, as they are more hygienic.
· Don't sit near than 15 feet from the television and keep your book at least two feet away for stronger eye muscles.
· Use cream based eye makeup as powdery eye shadows can enter eyes and, cause irritation. Be very gentle in case you wear lenses.
· Avoid using aerosol products like hairspray if you wear lenses.
· Don't use your mascara for more than a year.
Contributed by: gnatarajan53 @ gmail.com
You may also like to read